Orosi Valley History

Orosi is one of the oldest communities in Costa Rica. Before the arrival of the Spanish in Costa Rica, Orosi Valley was inhabited by indigenous ethnic Caribbean huetares and Viceitas, culture belonging to the Intermediate Area, which inhabited the area at the time the Spanish arrived in the sixteenth century.
Orosi region was explored in 1561 by Diego Velazquez and Quinonez and Vera Bustamante, lieutenant of Juan de Cavallón licensed and Arboleda, first conqueror of Costa Rica. Upon the arrival of the Spanish in Orosi huetar Xarcopa monarch reigned, whose subjects were offended by the conquerors for the possession of their corn. After the arrival of the advance Juan Vázquez de Coronado in 1562, a chieftain of the area, named Orocay (who is believed to get its name Orosi) swore an oath of obedience to it. Coronado included the town of Orosi as part of Ujarrás. In 1569 the town was given in encomienda by Governor Perafán de Ribera, with 150 natives. In 1570, with the founding of the parish of Ujarrás, Franciscan evangelization began, whose friars performed the work in conditions of extreme poverty, founding small chapels in the valley of Orosi and Ujarrás. Still, cocoa cultivation and snuff intensified the Spanish colonization. In the years 1614, 1690 and 1694 the appearance of several epidemics devastated almost all locations along the river valley Reventazón. The village became extinct in the seventeenth century, but was repopulated in the eighteenth century by the Franciscan missionaries with the indigenous ethnic Cabecar brought from Talamanca.
In 1743, he built the Convent of Franciscan Fathers of Orosi (now Museum of Religious Art in San Jose de Orosi), and in 1753 the parish was erected. In 1766 the construction of the temple, made of adobe and cañabrava, which remains to this day is finished. In 1846, the Franciscans left the village, leaving the care of the temple priest of Paradise. Since this date the coffee industry began in the Orosi Valley region. In 1920, the temple was declared a National Heritage, and the parish was revived with the return of the Franciscans to take charge of the same parents until 1996, when it passed into the hands of the diocesan. Between 1973 and 1980, restores the temple and monastery were performed and opened the Museum of Religious Art.


ARTIFACTS
<